Wednesday, December 02, 2009

BOSS ACA to PSA power supply mod

The older BOSS pedals may not work correctly with a modern AC power adapter (like a 1-Spot or Boss PSA). These older pedals required the Boss ACA adapter and they have a sticker on the housing right next to the power supply jack. The ACA supplied a higher voltage than the PSA. The ACA voltage is unregulated and the PSA supplies a regulated voltage. The ACA-style pedals have a series resistor (and diode) that drops some voltage from the power supply. The pedal might not get enough voltage if you use a PSA power supply on a ACA pedal.

In my case I had a CE-3 chorus that worked fine with a battery. But when I used a PSA supply the LED wouldn't light up when I engaged the pedal. I also had a HM-2 that sounded really terrible and ratty with the PSA supply.

There are two workarounds:

1. Daisy-chain the power supply (in parallel) to some non-ACA pedals. These will drop the supply voltage.

2. Modify the ACA pedals to accept the PSA supply.

The mod is simple: jumper the series resistor. The newer Boss pedals do not have this series resistor. This mod has no effect if you are using the battery - the resistor is cut out of the circuit if nothing is plugged in to the power supply jack. The jumper can be placed at the numbered wire connections at the end of the board near the control knobs.

Here is the ACA sticker on a DS-1 Distortion pedal.



For all the pedals in my stash, the mod is to jumper the blue wire that goes to the power supply to the yellow wire that goes to the input jack. On the CE-3, that's holes 2 and 3.



Here's the jumper for holes 2 and 3 on the CE-3 chorus. I just used part of component lead for the jumper wire.



For the HM-2 Heavy Metal the holes are 4 and 5.



Ah, the DS-1 has two sets of blue and yellow wires! Joy! But by looking at the connections to the power supply jack and input jack you can see that holes 10 and 11 should be jumpered.



Here's the jumper between holes 10 and 11 on the DS-1.



The pedals can now be used with a single modern AC adapter power supply. They also sill work fine when daisy-chained to other pedals. And they still work fine when power by an internal battery. Joy!

This article by stinkfoot provided some very useful background information on the ACA/PSA issue.

11 comments:

GreenAsJade said...

Wah, the pictures in your helpful article seem to be broken :(

Jorge Zorro said...

Try viewing again? It's probably my !@#@@#$ web host provider that's down half the time.

GreenAsJade said...

Great article, great pics, thanks.

Unknown said...

You are my hero! Thank you very much for saving my old HM-2 :)

stefan said...

I think your 'wire jumper method' is better then the one described by stinkfoot;
If for some reason you'd want to convert the pedal back to stock, it still has all the components in place.
Plus this method is easily applicable without any schematics on any ACA Boss pedal by looking at the wires.

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Unknown said...

Hey Jorge!on your picture of the HM-2, where does the red wire connected from the switch? is it going to the DC Jack? I made a mistake on my wiring connection on the power supply wiring.

szantodorka said...

Hi,
I am really interested in old BOSS pedals.
Can I get more information about this subject? I mean, if I don't want to make changes, just leave the original staff (but of course I need some modifications coz of the old ACA) do I always have to connect the yellow and blue? In every old pedal, yellow and blue??
I would like get what I see at the last picture.
Thanks!
Regards from Hungary

Unknown said...

Hi Jorge

Thanks for your article.
I have a Boss OC2 and Turbo OD2 which fall into the ACA category.
Would a third option be to utilise a 12v output from one of the many power supplies on the market? eg 1 Spot, BBE Super Charger, Carl Martin etc., the list goes on.
So no mods, Daisy chain or separate bulky ACA wall wart required.

Regards
Phil
Australia

Stantheman said...

Which is it for the CE-2? Thanks.

Stantheman said...

Yes, I have a CE-2 that needs converted so I can use a standard power supply. Thanks!

Exattic said...

Anyone tried this on a DM2? What’s the numbers there?